Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the most famous and exquisite wines. Its has an amazing fruity flavour with notes of berries and a mild-to-prominent green peeper taste that comes from the compound pyrazine found in the Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. However, there are several types of grapes that go by the name Cabernet Sauvignon and many of them come from different areas.
In some regions where the weather is colder, the grapes may never fully ripe and this can add a green peeper taste. Speaking of flavours, it is worthy to note that Cabernet Sauvignon characteristics and flavours differ based on the area of production. Notes of tobacco, eucalyptus,vanilla and mint may also appear.
Some of the most expensive Cabernets are produced in Bordeaux, France. Although there is a great number of wines made purely of Cabernet Sauvignon, it is most commonly blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc. The Merlot blend is one of the most popular one as Merlot softens the tannins of Cabernet with its additional fruit notes, and on the other hand, Cabernet helps improve the aging of Merlot.
- Among the other countries that produce Cabernet is Italy and the most known blending sorts of grapes are Nebbiolo, Barbera and Sangiovese.
- Californian Cabernets are rivals to those from Bordeaux because they have the same blending sorts of grapes, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. However, the California type is sweeter, has a fruity flavour and contains higher alcohol levels.
- Australian Cabernet Sauvignon characteristics differ from the ones of classic Cabernet. This wine has a pronounced eucalyptus flavour, it is sweeter and its blending grape is Shiraz. If you desire to get a high-quality, yet affordable wine that you can drink immediately, Australian Cabernet is the ultimate choice.
- Chilean Cabernet is an excellent choice if you are looking for a softer Cabernet which you can consume immediately.
- The Bordeaux wines are classified under the AOC system as the best choice to buy. Of course, they come with a high price tag. They are especially noted for their aging abilities and often benefit from over 20 years of aging. As mentioned before, California Cabernet and Bordeaux wines are rivals, but if the goal is to get a high-quality wine with the intent of aging, then do not hesitate and get a Bordeaux-made bottle of wine.
Cabernet Sauvignon is available in many supermarkets and wine stores, but if you aim to find quality Cabernet Sauvignon, browse the Internet and you will surely find a wide array of quality wines with an excellent price to pay. We all crave good wine and that is why it is so important to know what Cabernet Sauvignon characteristics you are looking for before spending a small fortune on a bottle of wine.